Wednesday, November 5, 2008

After Election Exhaustion

On the Saturday before our Election Day, Kelly and I were able to go to a Yes on 8 rally and hold signs as cars drove by.  It was an awesome feeling.  I couldn't help, but smile and enjoy my time expressing my view.  We got lots of supportive thumbs up, and honking.  Of course, we got some other hand signals as well.  It was amazing that the most hateful speech I heard were from people who disagreed with our point of view.

We were asked again to gather on Monday.  Kelly did the morning shift during the go to work shift.  And I did the evening shift.  Again it was awesome.  The rain and wind couldn't dampen our spirits.  Tuesday night, I was a precinct watcher.  It was fun.  We finished calling the get out the vote by around 6 p.m.

Of course, we could not have done any of this without the loving support of our oldest Blake.  He did a great job watching the kids and holding down our fort, until we got home.  Of course, the kids enjoy the "all kids TV choices" while Blake is in charge.

When we got home we were all very emotionally exhausted, and too anxious to wait for results.  So in hopes of helping the kids to get some fruits and veggies, I found some coupons for Sweet Tomatoes.  The restaurant was quiet and relaxing.  

We came home, set the kids to bed, and watched the DVD "We Are Marshalls."  I truly enjoyed the true story.  It was a story of triumph over tragedy.  For Kelly, it was too slow moving for a football movie.

To add to our Election exhaustion, Haley woke up 2-ish, I think, and started having stomach flu symptoms.  We made 3 trips to the bathroom.  Haley wanted to go back to bed, but I was too fearful of another bathroom trip, so we slept together on the couch.  Haley fell asleep to watching "Enchanted."  A great princess movie, with too much talk about True Love's Kiss for Jared to like.

I am grateful and relieved to wake up and see that Proposition 8 passed.  I am grateful for no more bathroom trips, and a happy Haley on fever reducer medicine.



No comments: