Friday, October 3, 2008

Oh! I hurt!

After eating lunch with Kelly Thursday afternoon, I went to pick up Jared & Haley from school.  Jared had a horrible day at school.  All Jared wanted to was go back to Sycamore Grove to take a walk.  I tried to talk him out of it because we (I) had so much to do.  When we were parking at home, Jared pipes up, "Aren't we going for a walk?"  "Why, of course we are.  Just getting supplies."  So we headed out for a 2.5 miles walk, with snacks this time, and I only had to carry Haley for 1/4 of mile this time.  (this is after I did my 5 mile walk this morning.)  We sauntered the whole way, and got back home 10 minutes before 5 p.m. Oh, I felt so screwed.  I quickly started baking my mom's recipe of "60 Breads" to make carrot bread for the Recipe Exchange that I had planned to go to after Jared's Pack meeting.  Called up Kelly and begged him to come home as soon as possible.  Blake was so helpful.  He did everything I asked of him.  (so where is my real son?)  I think he was replaced by a son who was motivated to get his mom & dad out of the door to the Pack meeting, so he can get his alone time at home.  That is a cherished event for him...  well, for all really.

So we baked bread.  Feed the kids.  Jared & Haley & I left to be on time.  And Kelly came a little later after delivering the bread to the Recipe Exchange Club.  Grandma E. was already waiting for us (because foolish me, I told her I was going to be earlier and help with the set up.)

Jared had a wonderful time at the pack meeting.  I knew that they were going to be doing book skits for the night.  And I kept praying "PLEASE, let Jared be in the "Captain Underpants" skit."  I was looking for ways to try to ensure that, but everything seemed so different from what was discussed at the Cub Committee meeting.  Heavenly Father answered my prayer!  It was the most wonderful thing... to go to a Pack meeting and for it be a fun experience for Jared!  Of course, I went with Jared when everyone divided into groups to practice their skits.  I was his personal assistant. There were only 3 boys that went to Jared's group, and he when he heard we were doing Captain Underpants, oh, he really wanted to be Captain Underpants!  He did a fabulous job on stage.  At least that is what I heard from Kelly and Grandma E.  I was behind the black curtains assisting Jared with his custom changes -- putting on a red cape and underwear that was too small for him.  Heavenly Father truly blessed our family & Jared with our own little miracle.  (Generally, Jared struggles so much each and every Cub Scout activity.)

Jared received his Wolf rank, and a Gold arrow point, plus 5 silver arrow points.  When the Pack meeting was done I rushed off to the Recipe Exchange activity.  Everyone was cleaning up.  But I did get to talk to some adults, and that's why I go.

When we finally had a chance to read the note from school, Kelly and I just laughed because what else can you do.  Jared was upset because he had earned free time, but couldn't find the activity that he wanted to do, and by the time he found something else to do, free time was over, and so his teacher STOLE his free time.  So UNFAIR. 

By this point, my body was starting to shut down.  Every joint hurt, especially my hips.  I was choosing as much as I could to not walk anymore, even if it meant asking Kelly to get me a glass of water.  Friday, was not much better.  I could barely move this morning.  I had to ask Kelly to help me even more with the kids this morning.  Kelly kept reminding me, "Have low expectations for today."  He is such a sweetheart.

This afternoon, Haley got to play outside for a long time with her neighborhood friend Michelle, until we had to leave to take Blake to play music for his HS football game.

It's Friday night.  Kelly got Jared and Haley feed, washed, brushed teeth, into bed, and has left to wait for Blake to be done with his school function.  Afterwards we are probably going to get a cheap quick dinner, and go see "American Carol."  Then I think we will collapse, until tomorrow morning when we will get everyone up to watch General Conference.  I love getting KBYU on our TV.  So we can watch G.C. in our pajamas.  Well, not Jared.  He'll have to cover his undies to leave his room.  Well that's Jared.  And that's our life for now.

with lots of best wishes and love for all,
Teresa
KTBJH


1 comment:

Gweneth said...

Love those kids, but sometimes it's nice to be a "senior." Seniors are busy, too, but it's a different kind of busy with resting programmed in. :o)

Love ya,

Grandma E. (Not the Grandma who passed you.)